Why play Shoaib Malik but not bowl him?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 31, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Malik is a good T20 player when batting at 3 or 4. He rotates the strike and allows other players to go for big shots from the other end. He doesn't stutter the innings or allow dot balls to mount up.

Yet in this tournament they have Malik batting down the order where big hitters are needed to accelerate the run rate and not innings stabilisers like Malik.

One valid argument for the inclusion of Malik is his ability to bowl 4 tidy overs, he used to do it all the time. But Hafeez hasn't utilised Malik's bowling either.

What's the point of playing Malik if we're not going to bowl him? We would be better off playing Sharjeel or bringing back Imran Nazir if all Malik is going to do is bat out of position without bowling.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Malik is being set up to fail, certain people dont want him in the team as a batting all-rounder because that will put their own positions at risk.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  2. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    LOL

I don't like Hafeez but he will get a backlash from fans if he demotes back Umar to 6.

3. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

True. He should demote himself. No one else.

4. salman24

salman24 Youngsta Beauty

Sep 29, 2012
    I think we don't even need asecond fast bowler. Rather strengthen the batting. With Malik, we have 6 bowlers.

5. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012

He won't demote himself. We will be better served by someone like Razzaq at 6.

6. salman24

salman24 Youngsta Beauty

Sep 29, 2012
    I wish we had Razzaq

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I wouldn't want to watch a Pakistan team without at least 2 fast bowlers.

8. salman24

salman24 Youngsta Beauty

Sep 29, 2012
    Hi Merc. Long time.

I know what you are saying. However, fast bowlers have been taken to the cleaners. Babar,Ajmal,Hafeez and Afridi will bowl 16 overs. Gul to bowl the rest. We also have Malik and Maqsood in case someone has son off day. The bolwing is not the problem, it's the batting.

9. Zeeshan Merchant

Zeeshan Merchant Emerging Player

Dec 27, 2013
    Why?

Assuming its west indies you'd want to have 16 overs to ajmal Babar hafeez and afridi

With malik in tow how does it makes sense

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009

It's about how you handle your fast bowlers. Guys like Gul, Azhar Mahmood, Rana, etc have shown than canny fast bowlers can be a more deadly asset than spin.

11. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    I think Sharjeel Khan and Afridi should open and Malik should bat at 3. This Ahmed Shahzad fails in crucial matches and in a t20 match if u are behind the 8th ball from the start then its difficult catching up. I think Sharjeel is a better batsman compared to Kamran Akmal so therefore Kamran should sit out. Malik can pace the inns well at 3!

12. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    I think Hafeez likes the Safety-First approach, he likes have the extra option to bowl whether he uses it or not. A good captain would simply make the call according to the conditions and deal with the results.

13. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Srsly i also don't understand the option of playing an extra bowler or allrounder in case of Malik.

Either play a genuine batsman in place of Malik or play Sharjeel in place of Tanvir.

14. Muhammad

Muhammad Youngsta Beauty

May 29, 2013
    Malik ko duniya jaahan ki batting kerwa kr usko ghar bhejdainge. I personally prefer malik over hafeez.

15. greenkill3r

greenkill3r Youngsta Beauty

Mar 8, 2014
    He is in the squad now so they have no choice but to pick him, its between sharjeel and malik and sharjeel is no middle order player. Also malik might look disinterested in the field but is still way more agile than sharjeel.