1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Yardy says he's depressed. Boycott says he wasn't good enough

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 26, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Depression is an often misunderstood illness because it's not something you can physically see or something that can be diagnosed though scans, etc.

I've heard people say that depression is made-up by lazy people or that depressed people should just pull themselves together. Another argument that's put forward is that what about those people who are too poor to sit ahome depressed and have to go out and work or starve? Why doesn't their depression shut their lives down?

Boycott seems to be of the same opinion. He responded to Yardy returning home for depression by stating that he was going home because he knew he wasn't good enough to be there.

What about you?

Do you think depression exists or are cricketers like Trescothick, Harmison and Yardy just mummy's boys who aren't mentally strong enough to spend lots of time away from home.

2. CORNERED TIGER

CORNERED TIGER Emerging Player

Nov 2, 2010
    yes depression does exists....
    !!!

can happen 2 any 1...

3. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Well it could be a question of them simply not being mentally tough enough to spend too much time travelling around the world without seeing their loved ones or having them around which can have it's own implications on an individual.

In terms of Yardy not being good enough to be there in the first place, to an extent it could be said yes to reason being that England would've preferred to have had Samit Patel instead of Yardy as was the question raised before England's WC selection but due to Samit's fitness problems he wasn't selected. Yardy really hasn't done much for England apart from a few decent performances here and there he hasn't been anything special especially with the bat.

Talking of Trescothick and Harmison, they've both been better players for England than Yardy has based on the chances he's got to play for England so far because as seen Trescothick and Harmison have performed with the time they've been in the international scene and have many good memories in their supporters and fans memories with their 2005 Ashes performances and few others etc;

Trescothick in my opinion left his international career a little early as he could've played for a few more years easily given that he was only 30 at the time as with Harmison he had injury problems and again the same home sickness problems paid a big part in keeping him away from the side for quite sometime then again England were fortunate to find replacements in Cook for Tresco and Broad, Finn, Shahzad for Harmison!

4. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Marcus Trescothick was probably England's best ODI opener they have had in the last 10 years.

Depression is not something that can be beaten by willpower alone.The condition can also exacerbated more by travelling abroad on long tours in tough climates.Michael Yardy and Trescothick for that matter,should be given more respect,I feel far too many people have ignorance regarding mental health and this stereotype that they should simply 'Get themselves together' is terribly foolish.

5. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    depression is nothing but juz the way of making a fool out of u....... depression is for people who r mentally retarded or on course of being one...
    yup people do get depressed on occasion but its not an ailment which could be treated by medicines n stuff.... these GORA people r just cry babies.....

6. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    Depression is real, and not just for Gora, anti depressants are just a placebo.

I am feel depressed; normally before a coursework/exam date or when I have been majorly conned.

7. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok now reading my post I think it was more of getting carried away in the moment of writing up something! lol :p

8. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    Not really Omar.

Samit is fat, and Yardy is depressed. Samit can cut down on the food, I don't think he was really under contention of the world cup sqaud, Swann and Patel started vs SA in England, look where Swann is now.

I think there is something dodgy. Trescothick and Yardy both get depressed after touring India. Maybe the lack of freedom in the Mumbai bazaar.

Yardy got unfair criticism, he is a top 3 batter for Sussex and barely bowls. England used him as a bowler and a number 8 batsmen.

9. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    True Inferno!

Thing is as Flower had stated that they were inclined towards having Samit in the squad but had given him ample time to sort his weight issues but he chose not to do so and rightfully missed out on a WC spot which eventually fell in Yardy's lap as he did have a few decent performances before the WC!

10. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I think that Rashid guy was a better choice as he was doing good in Domestic and has a bit of international experience where he has done good. Forgot his name, it was Rashid something...

11. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Adil Rashid - He should've been there!

12. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
  13. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
  14. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator