Younis Khan may reconsider retirement

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Apr 22, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    "Yeah, I will think about it," Younis told cricket.com.au before the first Test. "It all depends on if my team needs me. If they request me or people want me then why not? But it all depends on my team."

In a column for cricket.com.au ahead of the first Test, Misbah also made public his feeling that the team still needed Younis and that he could continue playing for a year or two.

"I talked to him about it in Australia and told him that 'You can play on'," Misbah wrote. "Even though we have some very good youngsters in the team, the gap left by Younis' absence will be difficult to fill.

"The Pakistan team will not just miss him as a batsman, they'll also miss him as a mentor. He has been a terrific role model for everyone and it will be very tough to replace him. Every member of this team, including myself, has learnt a lot from him. He has changed our dressing room culture. If one wants to be successful in professional life, one only needs to regard Younis Khan's organised and punctual lifestyle from breakfast to bed."

The speculation around Younis' retirement after the tour of Australia was not as intense as it had been for Misbah, who battled poor form on the tour and came away with a 0-3 series defeat. After scoring an unbeaten 175 in the third Test in Sydney, Younis had said his future plans would depend on what the team needed from him. In April, while announcing his intention to retire, Younis said: "No player always remains fit, the motivation never remains the same, so this is the time when Younis should leave the field after the upcoming series in West Indies."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/1093875.html

2. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    So he is def staying because they will ask him to stay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. Mamoon

Mamoon Youngsta Beauty

Jan 6, 2015
    He is putting PCB under pressure so that they can offer his captaincy. Shahryar Khan was right after all. Not the first time he has done something like this, reminds me of 2014 when he forced his way into the ODI team for the World Cup. That is when his Team Man gimmick got exposed. Hopefully they will stay firm this time and not give in.

4. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    Happy Days. Want to see him break a few more records. But no doubt probably more words taken out of context. He is retiring

5. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Didnt know you read minds ?

6. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    How did you not know? Thought it was obvious that he is a clairvoyant

7. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Not a bad idea, if next few series are in UAE or slower pitches then he may as well continue, what better batsman than this guy

8. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    He should stay and should Captain Pakistan test team. Sarfaraz can learn a thing or two from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Man, not a single cricketer we have has any shame.

10. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
  11. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Apart from Azhar, he gave captaincy his good shot and when the results didn't come and pressure built he left without a fuss. Good man him genuinely

12. Mamoon

Mamoon Youngsta Beauty

Jan 6, 2015
    April 8: Younis announces retirement

April 15: "For Younis Khan to think that we should give him the Test captaincy at this time was not a correct thing to hope for." - Shahryar Khan

April 22: Younis states that he will reconsider his decision if the team (PCB) asks him to stay. He hasn't been taken out of context, there are direct quotes on the CA website.

If you put your love for him aside, it is not difficult to see what is going on. Not for the first time, Younis is putting pressure on the PCB to succumb to his wishes. He wanted to play in the 2015 World Cup even though he didn't deserve to, but he got his wish by playing the retirement card.

Similarly, he knows that the PCB is not known for looking at the bigger picture and will find it difficult to replace both him and Misbah at the same time. As a result, he is playing the retirement card again to get the captaincy, something that he has been eying for a while now. Obviously, his massive ego will not allow him to play under Sarfraz because that will be 'disrespectful', so he either retires or gets the captaincy. I'm hopeful that the PCB will stay firm this time and tell him to quit.

There are two main reasons why him playing on and captaining is a poor idea:

1) he is a proven failure when it comes to man management. No doubt a good tactician who led us to a WT20 trophy, but he is impulsive and very easy to offend. Doesn't take much for him to throw his toys out of the pram. He turned down the captaincy at the last minute in 2007 only to say yes 2 years later, and then lost the dressing room within 9 months.

2) This is the perfect time for him to retire. He failed 14 out of 17 times outside Asia last year, and on our next overseas cycle, he will probably fail 17 out of 17 times. He isn't getting younger or better. No doubt he is still very prolific in Asia, but we now need to give his replacement a chance so that he can find his feet in Test cricket before we play the big teams. Our next series are against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, which is a good start for a young batsman. With or without Younis, we have the players to remain competitive in suitable conditions.

13. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Left without a fuss? He was asked to resign before the England or the Aussie series but he didnt. It was when Mickey Arthur said we need an aggressive captain and Azhar is not the one. Afterwards, in the aftermath of Aussies series, PCB asked him to resign again so to save face. We all know how he also stuck shamefully to the seat as well.

14. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    Most selfish player in Pakistans history

15. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Find it strange when somebody labels another as selfish for wanting to play cricket. Basically the only thing they know in life, their livelihood. Scoring daddy hundred in Aus and UK at the age of 40 means he is still not finished yet. Most people wanted him to stay another year anyway

16. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    He's selfish for making everything about himself, for not giving a shit about the team and for presenting this laughable image as a team man when in reality he's just got a humungous ego.

Dropped from ODI's in 2014 threatened to quit tests, doesn't wanna play under another captain now so he "retires".

Mark this post. After he eventually does retire YK will join the ranks of the insanely bitter pros in punditry ala Yousuf and Miandad. A terrible role model and a terrible team player. Should've been forcefully retired in 2014 for acting like a spoilt child.

17. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Great role model. Guy has always played for the team. He would not be held in high regard by every player that has played with him or against him..

I wont mark it. Guy wont sit on channels and moan about other players. Better things await him in life after he retires.

18. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Should defo continue but Sarfraz should still be captain...having Younus around the team, he can still learn from him.
    No pont making Younus skipper for a year odd.

19. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    lol terrible team player

Jeez

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Dont know why is everyone crying. Watch the interview. He was asked and he said if they need me, why not.

Where is he imposing himself ? And yeah idealy i would prefer a youngster groomed but he is no where near a liability on team. Misbah played till 43 and he is a far superior batsman than Misbah.

21. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
    Misbah's age is genuine. YK is 42 already.

22. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    No Misbah definitely looks older. His reflexes are quite poor right now

23. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Not surprised to see the usual suspects coming out to defend their Pathan brother LOL. Seriously, guys. If he was so considerate about the needs of the team, he would have discussed it with PCB and the next captain before making this decision. Its clear that he wants to blackmail his way into this just like he did in the ODI series against NZ and then got embarrassed in WC 2015. Look, i defend YK and call him ATG but acts like these make me ask myself that why do i even support such an individual.

24. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
    Not a lot of 43 years olds have good reflexes. YK could play for another year (his average would definitely drop, already it went from 54 to 53) but no way should he be made a captain.

25. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    It's time for him(and other players) to stop this drama about the team needing them and retire with dignity. Yes he will be a huge loss but it's time for him to go now before he is chased out.

We have a few series now in Asia/UAE that will allow other players to develop their game in safer surroundings.

26. Mamoon

Mamoon Youngsta Beauty

Jan 6, 2015
    And you don't find anything wrong with that? He held a press conference and announced his retirement, stating that "I will not make U-turn as then people will start saying I do u-turns so I wont change mind". Two weeks later, he is claiming that if the team needs me, I will reconsider my decision. Only in Pakistan will you see such nonsense. Our players have made a mockery of retirement.

The sensible answer to the question should have been something along the lines of: "I have taken this decision after careful consideration and have decided to retire for the best interests of the team and so that Pakistan cricket can move forward with young players'' etc. etc.

This is exactly what Sangakkara the real team man did. He retired when he said he would, and when he was repeatedly asked about reconsidering his decision considering SL still needed him, he said that it is in the best interests of SL cricket to blood young players, even though, SL without Sangakkara is weaker than Pakistan without Younis, and let's not even mention the fact that Sangakkara was twice the batsman Younis ever was.

27. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    And how do you know that misbah age is genuine ?

28. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    @Alchemy you really chat nonsense. What this has to do with being pathan ? I have always said that he should leave for youngsters. Just said its not a big deal if he said this.

Keep your nonsense with yourself.

29. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    I think he should play for one more year. He will help the transition after Misbah. The problem is most of our players are hot heads, they give speeches to the media and later regret it. Misbah might have taken a long time making his announcement, but it is guaranteed he won't complete a u turn when retired.

30. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Overrated thing. He should have already learned a thing or two by now :D

31. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    You forgot, Pakistanis don't learn, they preach. :D

32. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    @Donal Cozzie knows more about Pakistan Cricket than Pakistanis. LOL

Dude terrible player? I am sure if he was Irish he will be your current President now. If you have time then check the latest article by Misbah for Cricket Australia (I had posted it in seperate thread). According to Misbah he is the best role model for Pakistani Cricketers including himself. His professionalism is very hard to match. He is a mentor to all players in the side and they look upto him.

So what if he wishes to continue playing for Pakistan. He is still the best Pakistani test batsman in the current team. Its not like he is a liability. Will you hate a guy now for doing his job?

GTHO

33. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    I do not think so, he will still manage to score hundreds on those slow pitches where a spinner will run through the rest of our team.

34. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Never said terrible player. Said terrible team player i.e cares only about himself

35. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Do you know more about this or his teammates? His teammates says he is the best.

36. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Was our best bat in the 2009 world T20 then decided to promote Afridi ahead of himself. He had no reason to. He had already scored 2 50s. Many occasions where he has put team ahead of him. The only problem is he has not gotten the respect he deserves from many of our fans. It can do some pretty bad psychological damage hence the need for praise. Which he has always deserved but seldom recieved

37. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    He just said on ptv sports that he has retired and not gonna reverse his decision.

Now all of you assuming things in your head can calm down.

38. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    @mak_asif: - "I'm retired and have not changed my mind": RASHID LATIF shared audio message of Younis Khan on #PTV

39. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    They just want a reason to hate on him lol

40. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    No one said anything about misbah when he played till 43 but YK (a statement which wasnt verified) and everyone starting assuming things in their mind.

There is a special love for certain players on both forums.