Your experiences with other Cricket Websites (especially for Lurkers or Guests)

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Mercenary, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I keep coming across users who are reluctant to post the names of other Cricket websites during their discussions on Cricistan.. Most think they will get censored, warned or banned for doing it. This is because the policy on most other Cricket websites is to ban the mention of other similar websites.

However at Cricistan we want to be different. Cricistan is a website for the fans.

And the Cricistan staff are first and foremost fans of Pakistan cricket ourselves. So we know that it's nice to visit more than one Pakistan Cricket website!!

At one point I was visiting MuzikPakistan, Channel4 Cricket, PakPassion, PakistanCricket.Net, PakMusic and Gupshup Cricket forums! I didn't post on all of them, on most of them I was a guest or lurker but I still got to know most of the principal posters and their views.

That's what a Pakistan Cricket fan is all about! We live in a global village now where you can get from one side of the planet to the other in less than half a day!

The same should be true of our internet experience, we should be global netizens and be able to appreciate all Pakistan Cricket websites.

So with that in mind what are your favourite and worst Pakistan Cricket sites and why?

You are free to post negative experiences as well as positive but we will not tolerate any abuse of individuals or of any sites.

Note: We will not stop you from mentioning any site which complies with the same sort of posting regulations that you abide by here at Cricistan. The only sort of sites which aren't allowed are sites which are abusive to players/officials or racist in nature, etc.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Guests/Lurkers:

There's hundreds of you reading Cricistan every week but why aren't you posting?

Do you enjoy the discussion or find it frustrating?

What do you think of the unique look and features?

What are we doing right and what are we doing wrong?

It only takes a few minutes to sign up and let us know!!

3. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    As you know Merc, I am one of the old timers at Pakpassion....having been a regular there under a (slightly) different name since 2003. The best thing about PakPassion is the number of posters. You can create a thread, or post in a thread and no doubt, no matter what time or day it is, give it a few minutes and someone will have responded. You have posters from India, Australia, England and many other countries to compliment the Pakistani base. Other than that the site has very close links with Pakistan cricket and, as such, is a good place where you can get player interviews and read about our up and coming talent.....it is a fantastic place for a Pakistan cricket lover. However with the added numbers it also becomes more quantity than quality and it has its fair share of idiots who spoil the pleasure. This is one, though not the only, reason why I have reduced my status there as more of a lurker who occasionally posts now than a regular who regularly posts like I use to be.

As a poster I expect to get a little bit of respect.....and I'm not saying this being big headed, but someone who doesn't troll or make immature comments and who discusses and debates sensibly and who provided in court updates during the spot fixing trial and pictures/reports of domestic games in Pakistan and other things.....things that contribute to making a site a wonderful place for cricket fans, not just Pakistan fans, I don't want gratitude or anything, just respect. In the majority of cases, that respect is lacking there.

That is the reason I am now spending more time here. And to be honest I have fallen in love with this place. It has a nice family atmosphere, everybody seems to respect one another. I think it needs a few more active members though. There's nothing worse than creating a thread and have nobody respond to it......hasn't happened to me here yet but it's more likely than at PakPassion. If we can get a few more active members and if you can use your links in Pakistan cricket and get us some exclusives or pictures from Pakistan, it would make it an even better place than it already is!

I don't visit any other site than these two.

4. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    HashiBaba, are you Hash? if so, good to see you here. we might disagree on some things but always thought you were an excellent poster.

5. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yes that's me.

I remember we disagreed on Musharraf! Don't worry, times have changed and I don't want Musharraf back in Pakistan now!

Always enjoyed reading your posts MT. You were a character who brought real quality to PakPassion and now to cricistan so great to be here with you. The feelings mutual!

6. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    haha. good to see you here man. like I said, regardless of political difference always thought your were a top poster.

and I can totally relate to what you say. there is a balance between quality and quantity. obviously we need more people here. but some sites have swung to the other extreme - all quantity and no quality.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The ones I'd like to see are the experiences with sites like PakistanCricketZone and BBC TMS, the ones that most of us haven't heard about. I'd like to see Nauman post about PakistanCricket.Net that he set up.

I visited PCZ once, I think it might have been sometime in the last couple of years. I probably visited on a bad day but I saw a lot of abuse being posted. Indians being referred to as kachis and other content like that. However I did like the videos from PCZ.

Does anyone know why cricDB closed own? Do they have a new site?

8. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I used to post on PakPassion and Cricinfo Facebook page but its only Cricistan now.

I Joined Pakpassion in 2006 and really liked it in the beginning coz of interviews and clips etc.. Started posting regularly around 2008 and was v addicted to it because it was such a quality website. But with passage of time..some of the mods/admin etc started favoritism and protecting certain posters while warning and deleting ya posts. So i stopped posting there and joined CS.
    I still believe PakPassion is one of the best cricket website only if they can get rid of favoritism,bias and Supporting hidden agendas against some players. For a true Pakistani website, they should praise/criticise all players on equal basis.

Cricinfo on Facebook was also quite an addiction but then again, they had the same problem...bias and hardly any article regarding Pakistani players or matches..so nothing to discuss.

Its all CS now and much more peace of mind. :p

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I've never really got into the facebook or twitter cricket pages, facebook is full of spam and twitter is full of constant brain farts. Everyone has to post about everything they do, so tedious.

I'm scratching my ear, Im eating my breakfast, Im putting two sugars in my tea.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    sameerM I moved your post into this existing thread. No point having two threads on the same thing.

Plus it would be nice if you gave a reason for visiting those websites rather than just posting a list of websites.

11. karachigirl

karachigirl Tracer Bullet

Sep 6, 2011
  12. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    My first experience was with BBC TMS. Was not so regular there though. It was just a war of abusive words between Indian posters and Pakistani posters. In Jan 2010 I joined PakPassion. Its a brilliant site for Pakistani Cricket fans but as PP said above there is too much bias there especially towards Afridi. Double standards are applied there for different posters. Some of the Mods there can't digest views clashing with their own views. But had to say the sheer number of posters their make it a very addictive site and I am still active there.

I joined Cricistan in April 2011 and slowly am becoming addictive to it. The fairness and openness in this site are the things missing in all other sites. I love the new look and features here on CS. Thats the reason why this is my No.1 priority recently.

13. sameerM

sameerM Youngsta Beauty

Mar 6, 2012
    Cricistan :D my major pak cricket source
    PCB - pak cricket information
    ESPN Cricinfo - match updates, news, etc.. sometimes objective, but again indian/eng orientated
    PakPassion - aint been on for time, but had a lot of traffic
    BoomBoom - for the new equipment they releasing, and to see Afridi's stylish poses :)
    CA - obviously the home of cricket brands.. stil loving CA bats thesedays
    Ihsan - another classsic brand, with their range of equipment
    Cricket Mall - a karachi based site, where i bought equipment off a few times, great quick service
    Cricket Supplies - english based, quite racist, aussi/eng ruled
    Stick cricket - play cricket here when im bored
    BBC sports - again cricket updates with an English twist!
    Sky Sports - for the latest on pak cricket corruption.. always seem to have the made off the cuff Stories.

IF i offended anyone, im sorry you are easily offended:D

Disclaimer: these are MY opinions and not the views and opinons of www.CRICISTAN.com

14. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    posted on pakpassion for a bit, i could not stand the place, full of people with stuck up attitudes. sure there were some decent guys on there, but a lot of muppets. havent even looked at that site for years.

obviously PCZ, and the reason i post here is because some of the members are now here so i feel pretty comfortable here and overall i think it is a good site.

15. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    sites i visited

planetcricket
    bohemia
    codemasters
    gamespot
    ofpec

they help me alot ,i enjoyed my stay everywhere.:D

16. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    The very first forum I joined was PakPassion. At first I used to be ever so addicted to the site and posted quite a lot there! The best thing about it was the amount of posters there were there, meaning a healthy debate could start on any topic at all. However, as my time passed by posters started complaining about PP's bais towards some, a poster going by the name of Passionate Pakistani to be precise. But I didn't see it then, thought it was a really good website where I could get interviews with international players, up and coming talent and even management.

As time passed by even I witnessed how some of the mods there were very biased. In one case particular, some user made a thread saying that his cousin saw Afridi in a club and that it's completely against the picture he [Afridi] paints of himself. Obviously, without the poster having conclusive evidence, many did not believe him - including me. Most were saying that the thread should be closed as it was causing arguments over nothing - the thread went over 5 pages within a few hours and still was not closed! Heck even mods started participating in the thread and started going against Afridi just on the baseless OP. Me being an Afridi fan posted " Why is this thread still opened? It should be closed! " - My comment got deleted, and many other comments that were like mine got deleted, I carried on posting like that and in the end all of them were deleted.

Later that thread got moved to Time Pass - just as a formality tho! From that day onwards I have witnessed their bias towards players - not only Afridi but many others too - also towards posters too! Doesn't that completely go against the purpose of mods?

Anyways, after that day I started posting on PP less and less, and now I hardly ever post there! I prefer cricistan - it is overall a better site although it could do with more active posters! I'm proud to be a cricistani, when I look at other Pakistan cricket forums!

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    One of the first forums I joined was the Channel 4 Cricket Forum. There posters were mostly English but it was still a real international mix. Pakistanis, Indians, South Africans, Aussies, etc.

Every forum/website will be biased towards its own country/people but C4 was biased on another level and that included their mods.

They had many raging debates about how Botham was head and shoulers above Imran when the reality is that Botham had a handful of exceptional games/series but the rest of his career was very average. Imran on the other hand averaged 20 with the ball and 50 with the bat throughout his tenure as captain.

One day we received 'virtual news' that one of our Indian members had passed away. His username was Sam and he was very balanced and always trying to keep the peace. The C4 mods kept deleting any reference to his death and warning any members who tried to discuss it. Im sure they had their reasons but it annoyed a lot of us and I didnt really go back there again.

18. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I started my Internet cricket career on BBC TMS, that wasn't a cricket forum it was more like a battlefield between Pakistanis and Indians. It was back in 2005/2006 and it was more of time pass than anything else. From there I moved on to the cricket zone which eventually got rebranded to pcz also known as pakistancricketzone. I spent a good 5 years on there helping to run things. I wouldn't say it was made to bash Indians at all Mercenary, I guess the day you came on there it must have been a bit of friction of some sort. The early years of pcz was very good, we had plenty of activity and around 30/40 active members posting. We even made it in to the mainstream getting quotes in the newspapers during the England series. It all went downhill when the site went down due to a former admin abusing our trust. We tried to make it work again but losing them active posters was always going to go against us. It never reached the heights of pp but we didn't have no dictators on there spoiling the fun.
    A lot of my friends from pcz had told me about bad experiences with pp so I chose to come to cricistan over them. I don't regret making that decision as it feels like I have never left pcz.

One site I had a bit of beef with though was crictime. One of the ex pcz members sent me some download links for my video collection which I uploaded on to YouTube with my own tag. A few days later I was getting abusive mail and even messages on pcz from the original owner of these videos. Some of the filth that was thrown at me and my family really took me back.

Apart from that I don't ink iv ever get involved with any other forums, I did try pp in the early days but shortly after I became admin on pcz so stopped posting on there.

19. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    chandtara
    lol we werent that bad towards indians at all - do you remember hari sampat? he got on my nerves! i think he was one of the people who was originally involved with cricinfo starting up in its early years.
    what about that aussie cranny pete? we had some good banter with him
    and there was mumfi the south african girl
    we had a very good mix the early days
    even if anyone did think we were bad towards indians i couldnt care less, the site was made for pakistani cricket fans. from memory id say Saul Goodman shaeeb and lahori were pretty good at getting after the indians lol

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Cranny Pete was one annoying troll! I think lahori banned him quite a few times, that guy only had one agenda and that was to cause trouble lol.

The few indians that did try cause trouble Saul Goodman quickly dealt with them

21. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Hash nice to see here. Have always enjoyed your posts on PP.

I will shed some light on couple of points which have been raised to improve Cricistan. Cricistan started with a bang however the spot fixing scandal kind of took toll on all of us within the team. To the point the site almost died in the process. However since our relaunch we have been gaining users every day. I believe in the next two months we should have more then enough users on the site all hours of the day.

While we would love to have lots of users on Cricistan. It is very important to us that we find quality posters and it would help us if you guys continue to post quality content. Moderation is a huge part of this effort. I believe PP had a very fair moderation policy least until we were part of the team but as of late I have heard all sorts of things from users. Opinions of our users matter to us as well so we will do everything we can do improve your experience on this site.

While we haven't started doing lot of interviews. Anyone who has been on PP long enough knows Merc conducted many of those high quality interviews. Give it sometime and Inshallah we will soon start working on some quality interviews.

We would love to hear the views of others who still visit or have in the pasted visited other sites. This will help us improve this site greatly.

22. lahori

lahori Youngsta Beauty

Jul 3, 2011
    Yes, probably Guilty as charged lol
    Now that we closed the site down I will also confess that sometimes I used to delete Indian members just because I could sometimes lol I never had any affinity towards any of the Indians there because eventually they would show their true colours and the site was never aimed to appease them. It was a Pakistan Cricket fan site for Pakistani's. But we had some good times on that site :)

23. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    Agree. You cant please everyone and there are certain people that are really hard to pallet ie indians. Maybe if we spent less time trying to be their friends we'd do better in games.

24. KA$H

KA$H Youngsta Beauty

Mar 15, 2012
    i think PakPassion is probably one of the best sites out there espicially in terms of breaking news and interviews

my only issue with it that they don't like ANY kind of criticism, percieved or unpercieved and there is a lot of unecessary and pointless brown nosing going on. Having said that there are some quality contributors.

other than that I think the very old incarnation of cricket365 used to have a very good cricketing forum

25. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I have heard about c365 but never visited it (not that I remember anyway). Did it have any forummers we would recognise?

Was it nation based or just general?

26. KA$H

KA$H Youngsta Beauty

Mar 15, 2012
    it was a general cricket forum, and there were a few pak supporters on there - I've forgotten what their tags were although the name AMEX rings a bell

I remember I was on there around the time of Laxman's heroics against Oz, and there was this mental indian supporter who wouldn't admit defeat and was predicting that his team would fight back. There also were some classic discussions on the whole pitch invasions which were occuring in Eng

- ah classic stuff and classic events!

27. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Nice thread Merc.....

I posted on PP as everyone knew.But there were couple of posters who would go to every thread and ask why Indians are there on PP and they should be banned or if allowed should toe the line etc etc.While those of us who protested got assurances that it will be dealt with it never got dealt with.A certain Mod was blatantly supporting a certain poster so now though i still visit the forum because there is still quality discussion there i hardly post.

I also used to be on ICF.Its a fun place with serious discussion among posters who want also there.

28. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    Maybe for indians but i was once at that forum and the posters there were openly mocking Islam, Pakistani Players and Pakistan in general and the mods did nothing to stop it. BTW by mocking i don't mean in a light-hearted manner, they were posting some seriously offensive stuff

29. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Like i said its a fun place.Nothing said or done there is taken seriously unless someone gets personal.Then again to each his own.

Were you munda Pakistani?

30. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    Been to ICF and it was hardly a pleasant place.....

To each their own? Thats great but some of these guys are just offensive toads. The intention was not light-hearted banter but malice.

31. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Well the reason for me not posting on PP is same.Indians and Hindus get disrespected all the time and no one is warned or banned.If we protest too much the post gets edited thats all.

32. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    Cmon man, You can not compare PP with ICF. I am a member on PP and yes some people make fun of the Indian team but its mostly banter. Also i have never seen anyone ever mock Hindus(or any religion for that matter) on Pakpassion,

33. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    No,i was never a member there

34. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Bhai next time i will share with you here.i hope we have a PM facility here.

Anyways i am not here to diss PP or support ICF or vice versa.I am here to enjoy Cricistan lets do that.

35. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I know all about ICF, or should I say I 'knew' all about ICF.

I was there when they started out on Sportsnetwork. When you had Dhondy, Rajeev, Gambler, Blade, FoF, Anil, etc

Then they had a split and some created a new site.

I havent visited either site in years but whenever I did visit those sites in the past they were full of abuse against Islam and Pakistanis. There's no comparison between either of the two ICF incarnations and PP/Cricistan. Both PP and Cricistan are on another level when it comes to moderation and curtailing of religious abuse.

I cant speak for PP post 2009 as I have not visited it in over 2 years, other than to rescue some of my old posts or follow links to posts/threads other people send me. However when I was there pre-2oo9 we were hard on any abuse of any kind. Just like we are here on Cricistan.

On ICF it was generally the mods who were being racist and abusive. We first met Rajeev when he signed up to the sportsnetwork Pakistan site as 'mohammmmmad' (or something like that) and posted vile religious abuse against Islam. Then he changed his username and pretended to be all innocent until someone linked the two accounts and he was exposed.

The ICFers used to be terrified of me on the old Sportsnetwork but I was never racist nor creedist and anyway I'm a lot nicer all-round these days :D

36. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    PM is available here but you have to have to wait till your username turns deep blue.

37. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    to be very frank merc PPs moderation has gone down

There is abuse of Indians and Hindus there and no one is seriously concerned about it.I dont know the corcumstances that made u leave PP.But since the time MoMo SK Oxy etc left PP its moderation jasnt been the same.

ICF is a totally different place compared.to PP.its a place for.leisure and fans and as long as no one is offended its alrite.i guess you know people there who makes.fun of hinduism also.religion is no issue there.not that it is right but then again thats how the place has been made.

how many posts for.my PM to be activated?

do we get to write articles about non pakistani players here?

if yes will like to contribute in that section.

38. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Yes, you can and we would love to share your work with others by publishing it on our site if the content is of high quality.

As for moderation. Like Merc I can't comment on the changes PP might have made once we left the team in 2009 however we never put up with it then and we won't put up with it now. It is one thing to have a laugh on the expense of the Indian team but anything beyond that and we will ban members regardless of how much or how well they contribute to this site. We won't simply put up with any kind of religious abuse.

39. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Thanx feather.Really appreciate that.will write my article and pm.it to you.

40. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    We figure that PM's are for users who use the site a lot, so 150+ posts will activate your PMs. If you want to chat to someone before you have 150 PMs then just do the following.

Go to your own debut thread or the persons debut thread and 'mention' that person (or persons) like this...

s2k Mercenary

You can even start a specific chat thread.

The persons mentioned will get an alert and come visit the thread. Any posts in the debut forum do not count towards your post count so you are free to spam (within reason). However decency and etiquette still apply in every thread and post on Cricistan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.