Your experiences with other Cricket Websites (especially for Lurkers or Guests)

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Mercenary, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Those 3 aren't the only ex-PP mods to be banned after leaving the team, that's why I said this...

2. Younis-fan

Younis-fan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    AZ,SK and CD are banned?

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The Match Referees Room was entirely my idea.

This was because I felt we had an issue on PP where banned members were unable to argue their case and where certain mods were just banning users via fights over PMs and the rest of the team didn't know who was in the right or wrong.

So I came up with the MRR as a solution to this. The MRR allowed banned users to continue posting after they were banned but only in the MRR forum, so it gave them a chance to explain their behaviour or apologize for it. The idea was that we use the MRR (not PMs) to discuss a members behaviour and what is expected of them if they want to post on PP. This way all the other mods can see the exchange and contribute their own thoughts as well. This would mean that the user would feel they were getting a fair hearing and hopefully it would lead to less people getting permanently banned.

When I launched the MRR I declared an amnesty for banned users to come and argue their case and the MRR worked perfectly while I was there.

However when I walked away from PP one of the parting shots from a certain senior mod was to accuse me of using the MRR to undermine him when he was 'dealing' with troublemakers. He seemed to think the MRR was there to provide entertainment for the other mods while he beat up on users and bullied them. He could not understand why I used to 'get involved' with MRR threads between him and a user. He couldnt understand that there was no point in an MRR if only one mod was talking to the user. If other mods werent going to step in and play peacemaker then the MRR was pointless and we may as well have carried on dealing with these issues over PM.

It was only then that I realised that most of them hadn't grasped the idea of the MRR, they just didnt get the point of it.

The MRR is there for the users not the mods.

It's there to make the warning and banning process more transparent, not to be an online Abu Ghraib which is what they seemed to have turned it into! I find it kinda depressing that I built the facility that's being used to torture Pakistan Cricket fans!!

Sorry everyone.

I built the DRS Reviews forum here on Cricistan which is an MRR + Help forum. You can use it to appeal a ban but you can also use it to talk exclusively to the mod team about any ideas or concerns that you have. So far the atmosphere in our DRS has been one of conciliation and not confrontation, I hope it stays that way and I'll do my best to ensure that!

4. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    Merc, you're just way too diplomatic now. we need the old firebrand back.

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Everyone keeps telling me that. But remember what happened to David Banner, we dont want a raging Merc Hulk tearing the place apart. Let's stick with calm and collected Mr Kent for now.

6. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks Merc for your replies.On PP now MODs can ban anyone and you wont even know why and who.was banned.

SK Wazeeri are still not banned as far as i know.

but i dont get it if someone cant help in moderation as he may have other priorities why take itnas us vs them.its like the middle ages you are with us or againist us.But thats not how the world functions.

i get your point regarding the MRR amd may even guess the Mods name you mentioned.i am glad that cricstan is there for us to come and post.and the torture isnt for Pakistani cricket fans but cricket fans in general.i can name atleast a few indians who were banned just like that from PP because they protested againist name calling and insults of Indians and hindus.

I have been in contact with them and have asked them to.come here.I hope you will ensure that non Pakistani fans are fairly treated.

7. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Interesting to just read through people's experiences with other forums and in particular PP- of whom I was also a member.

I was originally posting at PCN who later merged with PP. Therefore, leaving me with no option but to join PP. The experience was pleasant, I didn't have any problems with anyone and the quality of posters (at the time) was excellent along with the moderating. I wasn't a regular poster, just occasionally posting when I had free time. I was more of a lurker who was attracted by the quality of interviews conducted by Merc, he really did get up close and personal with some interviews which was insightful.

It was only when Merc was removed (who I don't know personally) did I have a problem because the usual protocol was to give a farewell thread in which usually has a brief explanation for a mod leaving. Some members had noticed and started a few threads which were closed or not given a valid reason. I was banned for asking saj and mod team about the reasons of Merc leaving (I've never looked back mind you). Anyway, I somehow had Merc added on my FB we spoke at length which was interesting and ever since then I've always been supportive of Cricistan.

PP realises Cricistan is a threat by not allowing its own poster to post competitors web address. Even taking down the mo irfan exclusive down. Democracy? Never.

8. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Anyone here from Planet cricket forums? How is it? What was your experience on it?

It's quite a famous cricket forum..

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The only users with anything to worry about are the ones who are planning to be abusive towards players/officials or other users. All others are welcome to come and join our motley crew.

10. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Well they could no longer milk his story but then again Merc is the one who has been with Irfan since the very first day guiding him through all the things concerning cricket. I spoke to Irfan couple of weeks ago. I will do an update on him soon.

I don't know about others cause I have seen some members say it was a bust etc. I take great pride along with Merc that we were able to do take someone who had given up on cricket and worked at pipe factory to someone who ended up playing for Pakistan with no connections what so ever. He now has a career within the domestic cricket.

We learned so much about cricket in general and Pakistan cricket. I wouldn't change it for the world.

11. Younis-fan

Younis-fan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    Mohammed Irfan could have had a future at this level had it not been for the idiot captain at the time. Nerves played a big part in his disappointing start and captain left him hung to dry in front of media.

12. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    We still believe he can make it. It wasn't a case of us hyping him up. Lot of people thought he was actually good enough to make the team. Lot of people worked with him and if you read the irfan blog you would know what others had to say about him.

I shouldn't say this but I believe he has had lot on his mind lately. He has gotten married he has a decent career at the domestic level. It is my opinion that perhaps he has slightly gotten comfortable at the domestic level. I spoke to him couple of weeks ago and I pressed him on that issue. He said he still wishes to play for Pakistan but wedding along with other things were stressing him out as well but he will work toward gaining a recall.

Let's see what happens...regardless if he does make it again or not. I am still very proud of the effort we made with him.

13. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Idiot captain??

While i agree that Afridi should not have criticised him in press conference and it was indeed a v poor comment by Afridi but Iam sorry to say, Irfan was just an ordinary bowler.

Did you see how he Bowled and field, it was beyond a joke...there was just nothing special about him..not even 1% talent. Height isn't everything, i will even pick the likes of rao iftikhar, shahid nazir and fazle akbar over him on any day, any pitch and in any format.

Irfan is just not an intl level bowler

14. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    You know it is bit sad I never saw him bowl on international stage cause both times I really had something come up and I missed part of the match. However I think your being little harsh. Yes, he didn't bowl well but that is it. He is a much better bowler then that.

Wasim Akram had picked out Irfan to play in the IPL for Shahrukh's team had Pakistani players played which never happened. Irfan has bowled at Afridi and Razzaq and gotten better of them both. I am not sure if Merc or anyone else at that point told people why Irfan got cramps.

They flew him and Asad both from Sri Lanka and then flew them to England once they landed put them in a bus/car for like four hours to go play the match the very next day. Irfan is very tall just by sitting around for such a long time in cramped up space he had cramps.

Anyway he does well at domestic level...I still think he can make it there and if he really tried hard can still play for Pakistan.

15. LOUIS.VUITTON

LOUIS.VUITTON Youngsta Beauty

Apr 5, 2012
    Both Feather and Merc deserve alot of praise for what they did for Irfan and his developement. Its a fairy tale really, its one thing to support a struggling cricketer but its the biggest achievement when the player goes on to play highest level of cricket. Its a dream come true for any pakistani and regardless of he will play for Pakistan again or not, it was a big achievement for all the parties involved. I hope more and more people will take similar initiatives for the sake of Pakistan cricket which i think is the only thing left which connects us all together.

16. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    me have a a/c there,its a good site for gamer

17. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    AZ and CD are banned? They are one of the best Moderators i have come across with, and i also met CoverDrive in real life too. He is very humble man. Can't believe he is banned. That explains why his posts are no longer noticed at PP, and too many members are being appointed as new Moderators nowadays. I no longer feel to post at PP due the great alarming increasing of hatred, and the practice of backbiting....etc, which makes it harder to enjoy the forum. CC is growing maturely day by day, Alhamdulillah!

I remember back in my day, when i was banned, asked for explanation. The only person who had problem with me was Saj, and little did i know he was owner of that site when i challenged him with evidence. So, i never stood a chance. LOL

I apologized, and despite of many attempts to come back, finally, i got settled. I wasn't allowed to use my previous username as Password for winrar of uploaded Cricket files links, but that never stopped me, and finally, they gave up and so did i (due to my increased interest in Islam lately - Alhamdulillah). Life is too short to hold grudge at anyone, so, i moved on. Can't believe member like AZ and CD are banned. I find it very hard to believe. I will try to get CoverDrive to post in CC because he is very passionate about Cricket, and truly, hardcore fan of Cricket, and literally, knowledgeable with memorable statistics, Masha'Allaah!

As Salaamu Alaykum!

18. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    If we have judged purely on the first impression, Mohammad Asif wouldn't have come back, and become superstar, and later, in Jail.

The first impression of Mohammad Asif wasn't ideal either, and his slow pace didn't help either. After one year, he came back strongly, Masha'Allaah, and despite of slow pace, he has dominated with new line of thinking. Alhamdulillah!

Don't give up on Mohammad Irfan. Not many cricketers handle well with their first impression, but they surprise you. Example of Wahab Riaz, and how he was changed from the guy who was literally owned by Sehwah, to the guy who literally dominate Indian batting line in WC Semi Final 2011. Life is full of surprise.

I will not give up on Mohammad Iran, and Insha'Allaah, like them, he too, will bounce back with better version of himself.

As Salaamu Alaykum!

19. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Yeah get Cover Drive on here. MashaAllah he was a massive help to me on PP, always found time for requests or help

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    i agree, cover drive was one of the only nice mod along with khabri. it will be great if he joins CRICISTAN.

21. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011

Apart from that comment which was unnecessary and unkind, Afridi was pretty impressive in that England series. No stupid antics, he played some important innings.

I thought Irfan was ragged in both games, but even so I feel you shouldn't judge a bowler on one or two games. I agree some critics over-hyped him because of the excitement around his height, but once you select a bowler you should keep them for a series or two to see if they improve. It could've just been jet lag or a bad day, in fact in the games he played nearly every bowler was hammered around the park. So I think Afridi's comment was poorly thought out, which is a shame because he was otherwise unusually mature in that one-day series.

22. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    MalikBrother like others have said if you know cover drive make sure you invite him to cricistan. We would love to have him around at cricistan I always enjoy reading views of other fans who are balanced in their views.

PS: No one really owns PP well that is how it use to be. No one really owns Cricistan.com either or least that is how we see it. Sajid was assigned the role of manager which he started to take too seriously around the time when we left. Merc is the face of Cricistan and there is a very good reason for that. Other then a massive list of tasks to be done and things to be handled which Merc does he also has the job of motivating others such as me and making sure show must go on...when we go on vocations or get busy with our personal life etc.

I have known Merc for close to eight years now. Never known the guy to be a jerk/selfish person. However if you or anyone else for that matter ever thinks anyone within our team is abusing our moderator or senior team member roles. You can always contact another member of the team to highlight the issue. Finding the right balance is critical to how we operate and we will not let anyone abuse the rights they have.

23. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    PP is a forum of politican politics playing there why they banned cover drive anyone knows

24. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012
    Cover drive itsmek Az Cd were nice person in admin team pp banned all of them pp is a rubbish forum

25. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I know it's easy to bash but a little balance is good sometimes.

One side is the one I'm hearing on this thread about how AZ and CD were unfairly banned. Another side I've heard is that AZ was removed as mod and influenced CD into banning a PP poster whom AZ was arguing with. That poster came back under a different name and complained which resulted in both AZ and CD being banned for abuse of power.

Unless both parties agree to what happened we'll never know the truth of the matter, so it's pointless to speculate.

I've heard CD is a good poster, I've never really seen his posts but if you all think so then he must be. He's welcome here at Cricistan as is any cricket fan who can avoid abusing posters and cricketers/officials.

26. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012
    My question why they only banned good poster from admin team and why not from the rubbish which are..... I not post there name.

27. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Az by no mean was a good poster..he was such a hypocrite and had double standards.

Coverdrive was one of the nicest guy on PP

28. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012
    what about itmek

29. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Iamnt here to comment on mods of PP

and i will once again say that PP is the best cricketing forum around only if they can get rid of some bias and personal agendas.

I dont know and dnt want to comment about any other mods of PP.. But CD is definately one of the most fair and nice guy on pp forums.

30. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    Why are you guys even spending time talking about the other forum then? Just try to make CS better and that should be it.

31. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012

32. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    On a more light hearted note, I'm far more comfortable with the name Cricistan than I was with PakPassion.

I remember back in 05/06 I made several attempts at getting the other sites name changed from PakPassion because it sounds like an 'adult entertainment' site. A lot of the guys at work would look over my shoulder and say out loudly 'Oh look he's on PakPassion, he'll get sacked if he isn't careful'

It was mildly amusing sometimes but the funniest episode was when one of my colleagues came up to me (privately) and said "Hey I heard you run an adult entertainment site, could you get me a free membership." That had me laughing for days.

But there were more serious reasons for me wanting to change the name. PP was blocked in some Muslim countries like Saudi, just solely because the name triggered their adult filters. I remember we had to send off all sorts of emails to get it unblocked. I cant even remember if it was unblocked or not.

As potentially embarassing as all the above could have been, I was never more embarassed by my previous association with PP than during the spot fixing scandal. PakPassion was repeatedly mentioned as the Majeeds website and much was made about how the two had very close links. I even got angry phone calls from people saying, why is your site involved with the Majeeds. Are you stupid, why are you dragging Paksitan's name through the gutter.

I got tired of telling people I left PP before they got into bed with the Majeeds but luckily everyone knows and associates me with Cricistan now!! And I am literally proud to say the name Cricistan and call myself a Cricistani.

33. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    This is a thread about everyone's experiences with other forums and websites.

One of the main reasons I made it was to stop talk of other forums spilling into every other thread. It's better to keep it in one place.

34. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012
    yes.And is you from pp potwari kashmiri thread

35. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    Okay sir. No objection. :D

36. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    Yes, it is me. ;D

37. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Mercenary

I hve.noticed one thing, people join cs when they are banned on PP and then leave cs once they are unbanned.

I dont want to name but i know quite a few doing this.. They use cs only when they are banned on PP

38. Shahzebayub

Feb 3, 2012
    When i go to thread k.P thread its always stay there and i read there 1 or 2 posts that this thread is now dead.Is you banned and why

39. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Well at least we know PP mods are enjoying reading Cricistan as much as we are ;)

40. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    True :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.